Friday, June 22, 2012
This is an antique dress, probably 65-70 years old. A bride wanted to wear her deceased grandmother's dress (92 years old)at her wedding rehearsal dinner. It was in a fragile state when I recieved it and was too small for the bride. I first removed the straps and partial zipper at the center back. I used the straps to create loops to replace the zipper closure. A 6 yard purchase of antique white satin cording was used to create center back lacing and new shoulder straps. The hem also needed help. The trim edging was pulling away from the skirt in various places. I raised the trim about a half inch around the entire perimeter of the skirt. After my work, the dress will be properly drycleaned and pressed. There are fading marks and minor stains but these will become less noticable after the cleaning process. This dress has much meaning to the family and will be worn in memory of a dear grandmother by the bride to be.
Saturday, June 9, 2012
This blue cocktail dress needed an invisible zipper. Charl Gabel at the Encore Consignment Shoppe, Vermilion, OH asked for the repair so it could be available for sale. And so it is, this pristine dress is ready at present for your next formal event and don't forget to check out how nice the zipper looks.
Inspired by the popup boutique on Cleveland's near westside, with its excusive repurposed art, my daughter and I are embellishing simple gathered skirts with vintage lace, just for fun. A foundational layer of muslin adds extra body to what at first starts out as a 40x20 inch rectangle. The bottom is hemmed; lace is layed; center back stitched; elastic casing secured; and viola the skirt is complete. Very simple project! You might try it, just for fun .
Monday, May 28, 2012
This dress set required removal of shoulder pads and a sleeve lift to narrow the shoulder width. I also shortened it. It makes a lovely dress for a grand mother in a wedding party.
Here's Madison modelling a rescued dress. It originally had too low of a neckline. I took in the shoulder seams by 3 inches and solved the problem. The necklace is made out of recycled t-shirts. I dyed the old t-shirts, cut them into strips, formed into rosettes and then attached to a brown shoe lace.